Site Search

Custom Search

SR

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I will keep fighting to become No.1: Nadal

Rafael Nadal gnawed at his fingers, as a group of journalists threw questions at him. The Spaniard was graciously spared of post mortems on his embarrassing final loss to Mikhail Youzhny, and questioned instead on the Australian Open, Roger Federer, and a few things more.

Excerpts:

On 2007 and this year’s Australian Open:

I’ve always played pretty good there. I made it to the third round in the past and also had a fourth-round match against Hewitt (Lleyton) before. Last time I made it to the quarterfinals (lost to finalist Fernando Gonzalez). Maybe I did not play great in that match, but it was not a bad result. I just try to play 100 per cent to my potential. I had a good 2007. I won Indian Wells and some important tournaments. I have a chance for a very good tournament (Australian Open)

On his chances of winning Wimbledon over Roger Federer’s of winning Roland Garros:

I think Roger has more chances to win Roland Garros than I have to win Wimbledon. He has made it to two finals, and has played very well on clay and won so many titles. Grass is a short season, so it’s difficult. You have just one chance to try and do well on it, and there is no time to practice. I don’t know what’s going to happen this year, but I will keep fighting and giving my best.

No comments: